If you’re planning your trip to Costa Rica for dental treatment, we’re ready to welcome you with the best dental services! If you’re looking for affordable dental implants or a full-mouth restoration and have not yet considered coming to Costa Rica, what are you waiting for? Meza Dental offers high-end cosmetic dentistry at affordable prices in one of the safest and most beautiful places in the world!
Embarking on a journey for dental tourism can seem daunting at first. So we’d like to share with you a few pointers on how to plan your trip to Costa Rica in order to maximize the benefits and take full advantage of this transformation journey!
The Meza Dental team is here to help you through the various stages of planning your trip, but there are some things you’ll need to do on your own. This article will help guide you through the steps you need to take, in order to make the most out of your trip.
Remember that you can plan your dental tourism trip any way you like. You can enjoy your vacation first and then come to Meza Dental, or have the procedure done first and then relax at the beach. It’s all up to you!
Let’s start with travel arrangements.
- Flights: Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO), is the central valley’s international point of arrival. It’s located near the capital of Costa Rica, San Jose, and it’s also the closest airport to the clinic. There are many airlines and itinerary options to choose from. Websites such as Google Flights, Expedia, and Travelocity are great places to start looking. If you have any doubts, we’ll gladly answer any questions you may have, but you will have to purchase the tickets directly.
- Lodging: We have a list of hotels that are close to our offices and we even have preferential rates at some of these. If you find another hotel you prefer, we’ll gladly let you know if it’s within our pick-up zone for the courtesy transportation we provide. There are also Airbnb options available in the area.
- Transportation: We provide courtesy transportation from the airport to your lodging accommodations. We also provide courtesy pick-up and drop-off for all of your appointments as long your lodging arrangement is within our pick up zone (4-5 miles away from the clinic). To know if your hotel selection is within our pick up zone, please feel free to ask us.
- Required Travel Documents: For international travel, you will need a valid government-issued passport. Moreover, you must make sure that your passport is valid for at least another 6 months past your departure date. Keep in mind that a passport can take up to 8 weeks to be processed and received. Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for yours or to check your passport’s current expiration date.
Once the basics have been sorted out, you can get started with the fun stuff! There are multiple ways you can take advantage of your dental tourism trip to Costa Rica.
- Choose places to visit: You aren’t just “going to Costa Rica,” you are going to a great country with lots of great places to visit. Do a little research and then decide which destinations are a “must” for your itinerary. Costa Rica is divided into provinces, equivalent to states in the US. The northern region includes Alajuela and Heredia. The central region includes San José and Cartago. Limón is on the Caribbean Coast, while Puntarenas and Guanacaste are on the Pacific Coast. Each province has its own unique attractions.
San José: Where Meza Dental Care is located! San José is your likely point of arrival. You’ll find yourself with lots to do here, including visiting museums, restaurants and national parks. It’s also a convenient gateway to other locations in Costa Rica. In general, this province is culturally diverse and boasts a large population.
Must do: San Jose Museum Tours.
This tour includes the Gold Museum, the Jade Museum, and The Children’s Museum. The Gold Museum is pretty much what you’d expect – a large collection of gold – but it is worth seeing. Most of the rare pieces are indigenous gold jewelry.
Cartago: While Cartago is the smallest province in terms of square miles, it is one of the biggest in terms of landscape, and it’s pretty close to San José. The Orosi valley presents fantastic views, rivers, lakes, and great gourmet restaurants.
Must do: Irazú Volcano National Park.
The volcano is active, and in fact, is one of the most active volcanoes in Costa Rica. While you’re there, you should climb the Diego de la Haya crater.
Heredia: Most folks are drawn by either the coffee plantations or the stunning waterfalls.
Must do: La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
La Paz Waterfall Gardens are a breathtaking experience and can be visited in a half-day trip. The zoo and the waterfalls make it well worth the trip.
Alajuela: The Poás volcano is a great leisurely day trip. There are tours that take you to see the crater, one of the largest in the world, and then visit the nearby town of Poasito, for fresh strawberries, cheese tortillas, and great coffee.
San Carlos, located within the province of Alajuela about 90 km from San José, is the location of another famous volcano: The Arenal. An active conically shaped volcano approximately 5,358 ft high.
Must do: Hiking the Arenal Volcano.
For the more adventurous, this hike is sure to be one of the highlights of your trip. The only thing is that you need to take at least a couple of days to visit the volcano, due to the distance from San José.
Puntarenas: If your timing is right, between August and October, you could consider going on a whale-watching excursion. This is an unbelievably awesome experience that will surely be memorable!.
Must do: Surfing
If you’re already a surfer or have always wanted to surf, don’t miss the opportunity to surf in Playa Hermosa. The waves here are world-renowned, and the beach has received awards for its cleanliness.
Limon: Limón is paradise on the Caribbean coast, complete with white sand beaches, and calm blue waters. Limón has great biodiversity too, featuring everything from wetlands to mountains.
Must do: Tortuguero National Park and Boat Sailing.
Tortuguero National Park is a protected nesting spot to the green and leatherback sea turtles. If you’re coming to Costa Rica between the months of July and October, you can take a tour to see the nesting and hatching of these amazing turtles.
Guanacaste: This province is a shoreline paradise on the Pacific coast. You can spend your days outside exploring the beach, watching the exotic wildlife, horseback riding or going on a canopy adventure.
Must do: Relax under the sun!
Located in the northwestern corner of Costa Rica, this lively province is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Travelers can do everything from surfing, ATV Tours, snorkeling, zipline, horseback riding, hiking, or just sit at the beach and relax!
The description above is meant as a brief introduction to help steer you in the right direction. Knowing your interests will help you pick which areas to research and identify the activities you are interested in. One of the many great things about Costa Rica is that there is something for everyone at every budget. If you like adventure, you’re in luck! If you want to just relax and bask in the sun, we got that as well…
- Research local restaurants: If you’re into serious cuisine, there are many places to satisfy your palette. The first thing we research when traveling anywhere is where we can get fabulous food. There is plenty of information online about restaurants, local food spots, and much more. Our advice would be to look for positive reviews in sites like Trip Advisor, as those are key elements to finding a good place to eat.
- Check your budget: Now that you have planned where you want to go and what you want to see, it’s time to complete your budget. Get quotes for all the things you’d like to do and estimate your budget.
- Ready, Set, Go: It’s time to live your next great adventure, receiving dental treatment in Costa Rica at Meza Dental Care. We’ll be waiting for you!
If you’re still unsure about traveling to Costa Rica for dental tourism, here are some other articles you may be interested in:
- 5 Reasons why you should Costa Rica as your Dental Tourism location
- Why you should choose Meza Dental
Still, have questions about our dental services or how we can help you plan your visit to Meza Dental Care? Please feel free to call or contact us by email.